Monday, October 27, 2014

Lesson 2: Animal Handprint

So of course every 5-6 year old has their favorite animal; and most of them are pretty adamant about it. I decided to incorporate their knowledge of different animals into this art project. The kids have been learning about different animals and were more than excited to be able to paint them. I knew that 1st graders struggle with fine motor skills and felt that allowing them to handprint as the basis of their art piece, not only would they notice the connection between human fingers and animal legs, but also allow them to practice sharpening their finger skills to create the desired effect. It was beneficial for me as the instructor to see some of the children twisting their fingers, trying to imagine the shape of the animal they wished to create.
They chose their base paint color and printed their pages and then decorated them with heads, tails, stripes, etc,. Once again, I was in awe of their creativity!
 I loved that the kids were diligent in cleanup. Something I wish to emphasize is that art is a process, and must be completed thoroughly. No shortcuts!
Doesn't your heart melt at this cutie? She loved creating the horses' bushy tail and proudly displayed it for me.
One of the main things I learned from this activity was the importance of careful planning. I thought I had more time than I did, and really could have used a third helper. It was also challenging for me to control such a large classroom when they have the threat of paint all over there hands. Overall, I think the kids loved it.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, small kids and paint can be kind of an unnerving combination, but I'm glad you did it anyways! That horse painting looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete