Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Lesson 10: Chinese New Year Drums

For our final project, I wanted to continue with the cultural theme we had set with the Scottish dance. I decided to make Chinese New Year Drums with the children.. But I didn't want it to be merely a crafty instrument. I knew that the project could turn into that.. so we learned about pattern as we decorated the drums. I shredded and ripped pieces of different patterned scrapbook paper and each child made a collage of sorts by layering and ripping the paper themselves to decorate the outside of a drum. The drum itself was made by hot gluing two paper plates. After a lesson on pattern (link to powerpoint included), we learned how to tie knots and strung beads onto ribbon that strung through holes on both sides of the drum (pictures in pwpt).
The kids loved the pattern and the abstract artistic freedom they had, but I would have to say they were most excited about the concept that you can use art as enjoyment in everyday life, such as an instrument.
here's the link to my powerpoint presentation/lesson plan:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Bdj58CXKjIdklwcDJvQzZiMjJ2MlRfcGpVOGZTbi03cDVj/view
It was very bittersweet to say goodbye to these kids, as this was my last lesson with them. So.. we celebrated with cupcakes and went around the classroom and each shared our favorite project/thing we learned about art this semester. Kids say the darnedest things.. I'm trying to remind myself they liked more than just the Chinese Drums. Hopefully it's just their short term memory. ;)

Nate learning about patterns


Sharing with the class what they learned this semester about art!



No comments:

Post a Comment