Tuesday, December 9, 2014

10 Things I've Learned as an Art Bridge Teacher

Here I am with some of the 26 most devilish angelic kids I've ever been able to work with.. If you've been with 1st graders, you understand.. But overall, more angelic than anything. :)
This experience with Mrs. Olsen's class has been one of the most rewarding and growing experiences for me as I think about art and teaching as both future avenues for my life. Here are ten highlights/learning moments from my experience:

1. It doesn't matter how crazy or dumb you sound to yourself, first graders BELIEVE YOU. Sarcasm was not understood, and it also gave me the opportunity to make any project seem more appealing or spooky or exciting than it really was! Mrs. Olsen had this skill down to a science.
2. Patience is a virtue (also mastered by Mrs. Olsen). There were moments when it took everything in me not to roll my eyes or get frustrated. But the crazy thing was that most, if not all, children don't mean to bother you. They are genuinely curious. Feeding into their curiosity in a constructive way was a learning experience.
3.  Giving each project boundaries but large amounts of freedom allowed them to see themselves as artists.
4. Each child wants to feel validated and important, not only as people, but as artists. Giving positive feedback is something they take to heart.. Do it as often as you can!
5. Don't be afraid to be firm when a child is not buckling down and working. How are they supposed to enjoy art if they spend half of their time throwing paper airplanes?
6. Using each art lesson as a lesson that reaches other parts of their core curriculum allows them to use different sides of their brain.. And it hits home for some kids that aren't so left-brained.
7. Did I say patience was a virtue?
8. Create a fun atmosphere. I found myself laughing at the quirky things and mannerisms the kids would do.. and It made my job more enjoyable and REAL. They believed me to be an excellent artist (so trusting), and hopefully, even their friend. If you want to teach, you have to have followers that trust and enjoy being around you.
9. The minutes spent worrying about the layout of lessons on the drives to the school, were.. quite unproductive and useless. More often than not, plans changed and adaptation was needed. Often I would create a lesson that I didn't realize had a component that was beyond their level. Just find a solution.
10. Unity. When I would say "Hocus Pocus" each child would repeat and give me their almost-full attention. That brought us together and helped Mrs. Olsen and I control the classroom. Everyone needs to be on a team.

I've loved this experience and working with the amazing Mrs. Olsen and her first grade class. Merry Christmas! My email is sunnyleavitt@gmail.com if anyone has any questions about lesson plans!
Sunny Leavitt

1 comment:

  1. These are great insights and life lessons! It sounds like you really got the most out of your arts bridge experience. Thanks for dedicating yourself to this project and making it a good experience for the kids.

    ReplyDelete